SCREEN-L Archives

February 2007, Week 2

Sender:
From:
"Jimenez, Marilyn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:05:17 -0500
  I do not know of any essays on the topic, but you do not have to go to Puerto Rico or Lagos to witness very different forms of spectatorship.  Visit any inner city movie theater, and you will see Latino or Black audiences talk to the screen. For Latinos specially going to the movies is a 'family affair;' young children will run down the aisle, a picnic basket
full of rice and beans occupies a seat etc.  People also often walk in in the middle of the film.