SCREEN-L Archives

December 1996, Week 3

From:
eva katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 18:47:36 PST
        I watched the film "The Mask" with Jim Carrey in one of my
classes and we tried to find out what symbolizes this mask that
sticks to his face and transforms him into his inner
personality, that wants to become a super hero in search of justice
and a good time too.
         One of the conclusions were that the mask is a visual
representation of the media that comes between our eyes and the real
world, changes our inner personality and forces us  to become a 2
dimentional cartoon character that kills time (the clock) with a
giant hammerand to want to become Superman that saves the world with
a gun.
        I would be glad to hear other explanations for the
meaning of "The Mask".

Eva Katz
Media Education
Beit Berl, Israel