SCREEN-L Archives

May 1997, Week 3

From:
Susan Vaill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 12:04:58 -0000
Greeting film/television studies colleagues,

I am a research assistant for the two USC professors editing the book described below. In researching the issue of Media Literacy on the Internet, I came across this listserv. Judging by the announmcements and issues raised here, I hope some of you might be interested in submitting to the book outlined below, on ethics and social responsibility in student film productions.

Please take a look at the following proposal, and please call Prof. Carroll Hodge if you have any questions, or if you have any colleagues you would also like to recommend to this project.  The 2-page chapter proposals must be received by the last week of May. I hope you will give it your consideration.

Thank you,

Susan Vaill

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
School of Cinema-Television--Division of Film-Television Production

               CALL FOR BOOK CHAPTERS
      FROM FILM & TELEVISION PRODUCTION TEACHERS

Do your studentsı ethical dilemmas enter into classroom discussions?

Have you found ways to increase student awareness of a filmmakerıs social responsibilities?

³...But Itıs Only a Movie!² is the title of a proposed resource guide on ethics and social responsibility for teachers of film and television production classes. Edited by Doe Mayer and Carroll Hodge of the USC School of Cinema-Television, this resource book will be written by seasoned instructors familiar with the ethical and social issues that can arise in production. Each chapter will offer the unique perspective and teaching experience of its author and present constructed lecture and discussion material as well as techniques and tools for responding to controversies that arise spontaneously in the classroom.

Possible chapters might cover issues related to violence, race, gender, sexual preference and age, controversies about political correctness, the significance of the filmmakerıs point of view, diversity in the classroom , the roles of commerce, entertainment and art in motion picture media, the international cultural impact of American media, the social consequences of rapid technological change, and the effect of new approaches in documentary formats. We are interested in broadening this Œmenuı of social responsibility topics as well as hearing about creative ways to provoke discussion and increase self-awareness in the classroom.  How can the ethical and social issues in student productions be best explored and related to those of the entertainment industry at large? How can instructorsı own biases and beliefs be addressed as they teach in this arena? When is it relevant or appropriate for instructors to discuss their own subjectivity and life experiences?

We encourage the varied perspectives of writers, directors, producers, editors, sound designers, cinematographers, animators, marketing and business persons, and others.  Each chapter author will summarize the relevant issues of a topic and suggest film clips, readings, case studies or a summary of current research and, if possible, offer anecdotes gathered in the heat of ³ethical moments² or dilemmas.

Please send a two-page proposal, summarizing your approach to dealing with an ethical or social issue in film production classes by Thursday, May 15, 1997. Attach an additional writing sample or references to published work.

Final articles will be around 5,000 words.  We have been given firm publishing dates, set by a grant deadline.  Contributors must meet the contractual deadline of September 1, 1997, for the first draft and December 1, 1997 for the revised draft.  Authors will be selected by June 15, 1997.

Questions & correspondence should be directed to Carroll Hodge, phone/fax (310) 455-3103 at the School of Cinema-Television, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089-2211.

University of Alabama.