SCREEN-L Archives

August 1999, Week 5

From:
Matt McAllister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:19:00 +0100
Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma for a class I'm going to guest lecture in, and I
thought I'd see if anyone has any suggestions.

We've just started a Master's program here at Virginia Tech in
Communication Studies.  One course that we're offering this semester at the
master's level is Communication Research Methods.  We've decided to make
this a team taught class, with some faculty introducing issues of
Quantitative Methods in the first half, and others (myself included)
introducing issues of Qualitative Methods in the second half.  We're still
refining this, but basically the qualitative section looks like this:

Part 1: Philosophy of Qualitative Methods

Part 2: Gathering Field Data (probably ethnography here)

Part 3: Gathering Archival and Mediated Data (I'm involved in this part)

Part 4: Methods of Rhetorical Criticism

Part 5: Methods of Ideological Criticism (I'm involved in this part)

So my question is, can anyone suggest tactics/issues/readings for Week 3
(Gathering Mediated Data) and Week 5 (Ideological Criticism). I've of
course got a few ideas, but I'm being purposefully vague to gather
different viewpoints (my own background is television and advertising
criticism rather than film criticism). I'd be very interested in hearing
about different takes on these topics from a methodological point of view.

Thanks in advance!

Matt McAllister  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Department of Communication Studies, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA  24061-0311 USA  ph: 540-231-9830  fax: 540-231-9817

Department of Communication Studies at Virginia Tech Seminar Series:
http://www.comm.vt.edu/seminar/

Popular Communication Division of ICA:
http://www.comm.vt.edu/icapopcomm/