SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 5

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 1995 14:35:21 -0600
I'm not sure if this fits what you want, since the "child" in question is
really in his late teens, but both the old singer and his young apprentice
in Chen Kaige's LIFE ON A STRING are blind.  The film begins with a flashback
to the youth of the old singer, who was blind from childhood apparently, as
well.

Once again, I have to invoke Tod Browning's FREAKS, which includes "pinhead"
children, among others.

Herzog's KASPAR HAUSER (or EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF AND GOD AGAINST ALL) might
fit as well.  Also the film version of THE TIN DRUM.

Both film versions of THE SECRET GARDEN feature a boy confined to a wheelchair
(at first).

If you're interested in short films or cartoons, there were versions of THE
PIED PIPER from both Disney and the Fleischer brothers, which feature the
boy on crutches who doesn't get to follow the Piper.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)