SCREEN-L Archives

June 2017, Week 1

From:
Alison Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2017 10:42:29 +1000
Wondering if you would be so kind as to circulate this to your readers?

Thanks,
Alison

*With apologies for cross-posting

*NEW BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT*

*Troubled Everyday: The Aesthetics of Violence and the Everyday in European
Art Cinema*

*By Alison Taylor (Bond University)*

Hardback / May 2017 / 144 pages / ISBN 9781474415224 / £70.00 / $105

Published by Edinburgh University Press

----------

*About the book*

Extreme violence in contemporary European art cinema is generally
interpreted for its affective potential, but what about the significance of
the everyday that so often frames and forms the majority of these films?
Why do the sudden moments of violence that punctuate films like Catherine
Breillat’s *Fat Girl* (2001), Gaspar Noé’s *Irreversible* (2002) and Markus
Schleinzer’s *Michael*(2011) seem so reliant on everyday routines and
settings for their impact? Addressing these questions through a series of
case-studies, and considering notorious films in their historical and
philosophical context, *Troubled Everyday* offers the first detailed
examination of the relationship between violence and the everyday in
European art cinema. It calls for a re-evaluation of what gives these films
such affective force, and such a prolonged grip on our imagination.

*“So often we are dazzled by spectacle; in Troubled Everyday Taylor makes a
compelling case for the importance of paying attention to the quotidian. A
beautifully written, carefully observed account of the relation of the
everyday to violence in film, Taylor not only reframed my thinking about
the films in question, but about film as a medium.”* -- Catherine Wheatley,
KCL

----------

*Case Studies Include:*

Salò or the 120 Days of Sodom (Pasolini 1975)

Money (Bresson 1983)

Come and See (Klimov 1985)

The Seventh Continent (Haneke 1989)

I Stand Alone (Noé 1998)

Fat Girl (Breillat 2001)

Irreversible (Noé 2002)

Twentynine Palms (Dumont 2003)

Michael (Schleinzer 2011)

·         *Find out more about Troubled Everyday on the Edinburgh
University Press website*: https://edinburghuniversitypre
ss.com/book-troubled-everyday-hb.html

Best,

Alison

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org