SCREEN-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 20:42:15 -0600
Just a reminder:

I will be convening a group of film & TV educators who are interested in the
Internet and multimedia issues this Friday.  I've experimented with an e-mail
discussion group (MediaWeb) for this purpose, but I'd like to try something
new:  a real-time chat, perhaps once a month.

Some of the topics we might discuss include:

1.  Designing Web sites related to film/TV studies--creating effective
images, HTML design tips, incorporating audio/video, etc.
2.  Using the Web for distance education in film/TV
3.  Using technologies like Internet Relay Chat and Usenet-style bulletin
boards for film/TV classes
4.  New distribution mechanisms--electronic newsletters, the future of
print journals
5.  Using the Internet to supplement academic conferences--placing papers
on line, planning conferences via the 'Net
6.  High tech pedagogy: Threat or Menace?

We could have special guests to talk about such topics or we could just gab
among ourselves.

Interested?

When:           Friday, February 7, noon Central Standard Time
                (1:00 p.m. EST, 11:00 a.m. MST, 10:00 a.m. PST, 1800 GMT)
Where:  #ScreenChat IRC channel (see info below on IRC)
                available only on the irc.tcf.ua.edu IRC server
Sponsor:        The Telecommunication and Film Department
                The University of Alabama

IRC info

Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is an Internet device for instantaneous
communication. Users type messages back and forth to one another.

To use #ScreenChat you need either a Java-capable Web Browser or a
dedicated IRC client (e.g., Free agent).  For more information, see:

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/chat

----
Jeremy Butler
ScreenSite http://www.sa.ua.edu/ScreenSite
Telecommunication & Film/University of Alabama/Tuscaloosa