SCREEN-L Archives

November 1995, Week 1

From:
Debra Zimmerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 07:55:53 -0500
Thanks, Meryem Ersoz, for the plug, for Women Make Movies and also to those
of you who listed some of our titles in your "good" documentary lists.  I
just wanted to clarify some of the info.

Women Make Movies does distribute ILLUSIONS by Julie Dash, COMPLAINTS OF A
DUTIFUL DAUGHTER by Deborah Hoffmann (which was indeed nominated for an
Academy Award), and DREAM GIRLS by Kim Longinotto.

We also distribute DIALOGUES WITH MADWOMEN  by Allie Light and Irving Saraf
(which I beleive was the film listed as  INTERVIEWS WITH MADWOMEN).  We do
not distribute BOTH by Vic de la Rosa.  I'm sorry but I don't know who does.
   By the way, the very excellent film mentioned in another posting, IN THE
LAND OF THE DEAF,  is distributed by the International Film Circuit here in
New York.

Unfortunately,  as much as we'd like to be "cool" about it, we are not able
to preview titles for rental purposes.  However,  we have just extended the
rental period for videotapes to allow time for faculty to screen and prepare
prior to classroom screenings. Rentals prices of videotapes are also
deductible from the purchase price within 90 days of screening.    And we do
preview for purchase consideration.

Anyone wishing a catalogue can e-mail us [log in to unmask]  Please put
catalogue request in the subject heading and send us your postal address.
  Our 1996 catalogue which contains 25 new releases, including Trinh
Minh-ha's new film, A TALE OF LOVE, as well as new films by Pratibha Parmar
and Ngozi Onwurah, is at the printers and will be available in about 3 weeks.
 If you have ordered from in the last 4 years or are a member of the Society
for Cinema Studies, you will automatically receive one .  Please do not
request one, unless you want a second copy or if your AV dept, library or
media center regularly places your film or video orders.  If that is the
case, do let us know and we'll put you on a "permanent" catalogue request
list.

All of us at WMM - a definitely indie, non-profit distributor struggling to
survive the decline of 16mm, deep cuts in NEA funding, and low cost home
video releases which cost a fraction of what we can afford to sell
independent films for (many of our films sell 5 copies a year, as opposed to
50,000-500,000) - appreciate your support of independent film and video.
   Do let us know what we can be doing to help you.  We're also always
looking for suggestions of hard to find films or new work to put into
distribution.

Thanks, again.

Debra Zimmerman

 PS - By the way, Meryem, I'd love to know what you think the "stinkers" are
in our catalogue - I'm quite curious.   Please reply to me privately or else
our filmmakers will have my head.