SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 1

From:
Joe Swift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 09:37:55 ES
I think it's quite a stretch to claim Tim Burton's film argues that Ed Wood and
Orson Welles are equally important filmmakers.  I loved "Ed Wood" because I
found it to be a very affectionate portrait.  The thing that makes Ed Wood (the
character) great  is his total and unabashed love of making movies, his
unflagging optimism, and his embrace of people on the fringes.  Burton pays
homage to all who want to create -- and let's face it, 99% of us don't have the
talent to create true and original art, but that does not make our creative
urge any less important.

How accurate a portrait of the real Ed Wood the film is, I can't say.  But the
dramatized Ed Wood is an original and inspiring character.  Orson Welles made
great films, but perhaps not much of an inspiration (as a man).

jswift @ discovery.com