SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Murray Pomerance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 19:55:58 -0400
On Tue, 17 Oct 1995, Megan McDonald wrote:

> "Boudu..." by Renoir is not a re-make of Down and Out in Beverly
> Hills.  It precedes Down and Out by a number of decades.  Just
> thought you might want to know that.
>
> ----
> To signoff SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
> in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

Well, surely it depends on which direction you're travelling in!  If
you're moving backward--which isn't *exactly* impossible, is it, if the
evidence of our senses is to be believed--then BOUDU is nothing short of
a remake of DOWN AND OUT; and E.M.Forster's novel is a plump recasting of
that incomparable Merchant / Ivory item which is so much bonier.

Murray Pomerance