SCREEN-L Archives

December 2004, Week 1

From:
Mary Celeste Kearney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:55:14 -0600
From: Louis Black <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: CinemaTexas Notes
cinematexasnotes.com

 From around 1970 through the 80s CINEMATEXAS was a
graduate-student-run film society at UT-Austin that showed films in
conjunction with courses being taught in the Department of
Radio-Television-Film. (There is no direct connection with the
current UT-sponsored Cinematexas Int'l Short Film Festival.)  For
each film a set of notes was written, distributed and printed. These
were written by graduate students, many of whom have gone on to
write, teach and/or make movies. The classics were covered as were
many major auteur titles. But some films almost no one has written on
were also included. RANDY RIDES ALONE, MARYJANE, SAN DIEGO, I LOVE
YOU, SHOULD MARRIED MEN GO HOME, CRAZY MAMA, SUSAN SLEPT HERE, ADIEU
PHILIPPINE, BRIDE OF THE MONSTER, CHERRY, HARRY & RAQUEL, PORKY IN
WACKYLAND, MESA OF LOST WOMEN, and NECROLOGY, among many others may
well deserve a lot more critical attention than they've previously
gotten. Then again, maybe not.

Other Titles Covered Include:
King Kong, Kings of the Road, Kiss Me Deadly, Kiss Me, Stupid, Klute,
L' Atalante, L'Avventura, Hangmen Also Die, Hara Kiri, Haunted
Spooks, Have You Ever Though ..., Hawks and the Sparrow, Hearts and
Minds, La Dolce Vita, La Jetee, La Souriante Madame Beudet,
La Terra Trema, Lady Eve, Ulzana's Raid, Umberto D., Un Chien
Andalou, His Musical Career, Hitler's Children, Hitler's Madmen, Hold
Me While I'm Naked, Holiday, Hombre, Home from the Hill, Honey's
Money, Honeymoon Killers, Hopalong Rides Again, Une Femme est une
Femme, Unsere Afrikareise, Vampyr, Variety, Video Against Video,
Fury, The General, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, George Burns and Gracie
Allan, Germany, Year Zero, Getting Acquainted, Ghosts on the Loose,
Giant, Gilda, Girl Can't Help it, Run of the Arrow, San Diego, I Love
You, Girl's Folly, Glen or Glenda, God's Step Children, Going My Way,
Conversation, Corruption of the Damned, Cosmic Ray, Count Yorga,
Craig's Wife, Crazy Quilit, Crime of M. Lange, Imitation of Life,
Fireworks, Ice, Criminal Life of Archibaldo de la Cruz, Crimson
Kimono, Criss Cross, Crossfire, Curse of the Cat People, Curse of the
Demon, Dance, Girl, Dance, Dancy Street, Dark Star, Dark Victory,
David Holzman's Diary

These notes are now on-line (though not yet complete) at
http://www.cinematexasnotes.com/

Special Thanks are due Jameson West, Chris Linnen, Steve Raymond,
Karen Rheudasil and all the note writers.

DEDICATED TO ED LOWRY

PLEASE SHARE,

Louis Black
Editor, The Austin Chronicle