SCREEN-L Archives

September 1991

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 1991 09:38:50 CDT
On Fri, 6 Sep 1991 00:30:52 CDT Mike Duvall said:
>Vo Tech? Why is the art of doing technical and the art of commenting on what
>others do academic?

 As someone who's taught filmmaking ("doing") for 11 years and who can
 remember his own first production classes as being eye-opening
 experiences, I feel that filmmaking should be an integral part of
 any film program.

 But, I get very nervous when colleges rely too heavily on bringing
 in industry professionals to teach.  What usually results from
 this is a very narrow, industry-determined perspective on filmmaking
 and film history/criticism/theory.  It also results in lectures that
 are little more than anecdotal noodling.

 When you get courses that include topics such as how to work the room
 at an LA cocktail party (which is actually taught at a SoCal film
 school--I forget which one), then you are outside the realm of
 academics and into the world of vocational training.

          Diversity of opinion within the framework of loyalty to
          our free society is not only basic to a university but
          to the entire nation.
                                     --James Bryant Conant

|                                      | Bitnet   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
|                                      | GEnie    :           J.BUTLER27 |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |