SCREEN-L Archives

November 2012, Week 2

From:
Dylan Hester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2012 10:14:31 -0600
Dear listserv admin,

Please post the below message to Screen-L. Also, please let me know if
you'd like to review the book for your listserv. Thanks!

--

How film and media inspire a response to genocide as an international
crime

CREATING THE WITNESS: Documenting Genocide on Film, Video, and the
Internet
By Leshu Torchin
University of Minnesota Press | 280 pages | 2012
ISBN 978-0-8166-7623-1 | paperback | $25.00
ISBN 978-0-8166-7622-4 | cloth | $75.00
Series: Visible Evidence, Vol. 26

Creating the Witness examines the role of film and the Internet in
creating virtual witnesses to genocide over the past one hundred
years. Leshu Torchin’s broad survey of media and the social practices
around it investigates the development of popular understandings of
genocide to achieve recognition and response, ultimately calling on
viewers to act on behalf of human rights.

PRAISE FOR CREATING THE WITNESS:
"Stunning, urgent, forceful, and necessary, Creating the Witness
exorcises the ghostly and ghastly representations of genocide and
pushes them beyond the graveyards and the archives of trauma. This
magnificent, grounded, and rigorously researched book boldly probes a
century of imaging genocides in Armenia, Germany, Rwanda, the Balkans,
the Philippines, the United States, and Darfur across photography,
documentary, popular culture narrative films, user-generated media,
and gaming. Leshu Torchin guts how we see and think about genocide: no
longer spectres or spectacles, those images of the dead from across
the globe animate dynamic ethical engagements, converting horrified
reactions into collective action." —Patricia R. Zimmermann, author of
States of Emergency: Documentaries, Wars, Democracies

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Leshu Torchin is lecturer in film studies at the University of St.
Andrews.

For more information, including the table of contents, visit the
book's webpage:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/creating-the-witness
http://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/series/visible-evidence

Please email me if you have any questions.

Anne Wrenn
University of Minnesota Press
111 3rd Ave S, Ste. 290
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2520