SCREEN-L Archives

October 2000, Week 2

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 18:16:18 -0500
Vanessa Pappas wonders:

> I was wondering if anyone new of any recent Faustian themed films, that
> preferably do not make explicit reference to the devil.  So far I have
> only come up with Being John Malkovich so any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Hmm.  What's FAUST without the Devil?  If you are talking in broad
terms about "selling one's soul" for advantage, even metaphorically,
there are many possibilities:

THE INSIDER
DISNEY'S THE KID
ALMOST FAMOUS
THE CROUPIER
EYES WIDE SHUT

None of these, though, fits terribly well with the original or with
more obvious stuff like THE ADVOCATE or the new remake of BEDAZZLED
that's about to open.

Don Larsson