SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 4

From:
Ulf Dalquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 09:51:26 +0200
Well, so many to choose from...

Dreyers VAMPYR tor the cinematography and general eeriness.

Romero's NIGHT and DAWN OF THE DEAD for being completely shocking in every
sense.

ALIEN for making me bite off all my nails.

BRAIN DEAD (no, not Peter Jacksons, but a quite unknown US film directed by
Adam Simon released in '90 or '91) for being a really clever and scary film
about alternate realities, and for having something obscure on my list.

HELLRAISER for its surreal atmosphere.

PSYCHO for being what it is.

THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE for being minimalist and Raw.

I guess I could go on forever, but I don't know if there's any point in
adding splatter films i've liked or a lot of "horror" films that I've
enjoyed, but didn't get horrified by. Isn't that the best definition of a
great horror film - that you actually get scared from it. Be it utter
cinematic trash or exploitation, but the ultimate goal of a horror flick
must be to scare the pants of the audience. So I'd say that for instance
PEEPING TOM or VIDEODROME are masterpieces, but not very good horror films.

Ulf

Ulf Dalquist             Phone:+46-46-222 95 72
Dept. of Sociology       Fax:+46-46-222 47 94
Lund University          Email:[log in to unmask]
Box 114 Sweden