SCREEN-L Archives

November 2001, Week 4

From:
Nathan Wolfson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:13:40 -0800
"37°2 le matin" (aka, Betty Blue) contains the element, though it
doesn't really "deal with it" rather than simply portray it.  If
possible, working from the "director's cut" of the film gives one
much more substance in terms of the characters, and thus much more
substance in terms of one's analyses.

info:  http://us.imdb.com/Title?0090563

Note that while the version on video in North America is the
shortened cut, the full length version has been released on video in
Japan and Australia (on DVD in Australia, as well).

--- John Dougill <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Are there any mainstream films or scenes in mainstream films that
> deal with
> euthanasia?  The nearest I can think of is the scene at the end of
> One Who
> Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest where Jack Nicholson is put out of his
> comatose
> state by his native American friend...
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.  I'd like to use something
> relevant in
> a class next week.
>
> Thanks
> John Dougill
> Kyoto
>
> ----
> Screen-L is sponsored by the Telecommunication & Film Dept., the
> University of Alabama: http://www.tcf.ua.edu

=====
Nathan Wolfson