SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 12:30:39 CST
Larry writes:

"The fact is $285 million in tax dollars are
being spent. Is this subsidy truly necessary?"

This really gets to the crux of the matter. ie:Should the fed. govn't support
the arts......AT ALL?

...and more importantly, can it AFFORD to?

look, if the bowheads who now populate the Congress were REALLY serious about
balancing the budget, they would start with serious spending, not the nickel
& dime stuff. For what we get from it, the NEA & the CPB are probably the
best federally-supported organizations out there.

Think about it, if YOU were in debt up to your ass, where would you cut back
first?  Instead of renting a $1000/month apt, maybe get one that's $750? or
just cut out the ONE movie a year that you see? Now that's the perportion
that weere talking about, $3000/$7, which is the REAL saving...

Cutting the miniscule amount that is spent on the CPB & NEA is a TOKEN thrown
to the masses so that Newt can say "look, I'm saving money!"...meanwhile, he
and his cronies will vote themselves another pay raise and continue to ignore
the cuts that Gore has ALREADY implemented...

my 2 cents