SCREEN-L Archives

November 1995, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Dennis Bingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 22:45:47 -0500
The Thanksgiving scene that comes immediately to my mind is in GIANT
(1956, George Stevens).  The Texas rancher's wife played by Elizabeth
Taylor takes a leave of absence from her husband (Rock Hudson) and goes with
their young children home to Maryland for Thanksgiving.  In a comic episode the
kids befriend a turkey raised on the estate who, predictably, winds up
on the dinner table, much to the children's sorrow.  Meanwhile, Daddy
Rock, being served something besides beef for probably the only time all
year, eats his Thanksgiving bird alone.  The experience causes him to
head east where a few days later he is reconciled with his wife as she
stands at the altar as maid of honor at her sister's wedding.

Less traditional is a scene in Oliver Stone's THE DOORS in which Jim
Morrison and his significant other have a drug-induced Thanksgiving
brawl, trashing turkey and the trimmings.  Also, I am not positive
about this, but I seem to remember that in Spike Lee's SHE'S GOTTA HAVE IT
the heroine Nola Darling has the three men in her life over for Thanksgiving
dinner.

Dennis Bingham
Indiana University-Indianapolis