SCREEN-L Archives

July 1997, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 11:57:58 -0600
Andrew requests:
"I'm planning to choose the following topic for a paper in my History class:
The Victorian Era through Film. So, I would very much appreciate if you
could name me some films for "research." Thanks a lot!"

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of films set in  the Victorian era
(c. 1837-1901), including adaptation of Dickens, Eliot and other Victorian
novelists, biographical films of Victorian-era personalities (several
films on Oscar Wilde, Ken Russell's DANTE'S INFERNO--about the Pre-Raphaelites,
etc., etc.), but here are a few other categories to think about:

Films that depict the Queen herself--eg, THE MUDLARK (with Alec Guiness as
Disraeli and Irene Dunne as the queen.  [or the Nazi propaganda film OOM PAUL
that depicts her has the villainess behind the Boer War]

Films that are set in the Victorian era and question its mores: the Pinter/
Reisz adaptation of THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN is a prime example.

Films that are not set in England proper but deal with "Victorian" mores:
eg., STAGECOACH, which is (in part) both a political allegory about the
Depression and a satire on "Victorian" morality.

By now, you probably know of the new release, MR. BROWN, about Victoria's
supposed infatuation with her Scottish aide.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)