SCREEN-L Archives

May 1994

Sender:
From:
Patrick B Bjork <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 1994 10:06:41 -0500
From: Patrick B Bjork <[log in to unmask]>

I saw Spike Lee's _Crooklyn_ last night, and I enjoyed the storyline, a
kind of non-linear "slice-of-life" with specific signposts pointing to
the community dissolution yet to come. Although I  thought Lee might
have provided a  stronger contrast; without it,  the film is perhaps
a bit too nostalgic. The death of the mother, on the other hand, is a
strong metaphor for the coming dissolution.

However, what is perhaps most striking about _Crooklyn_ is not the
dissolution theme but the dissolution of its production. It is, to put it
mildly, slightly flawed,  so much so that if _Crooklyn_ were a student film,
it would probably receive a failing grade.

So all you tech experts out there tell me: What the hell happened? Was
Lee so cash-poor that he couldn't reshoot or does he think boom stands
and mikes play  intregal roles in the overall production? One other
thing: somebody please explain to me the significance of Lee's continued
use of dolly shots--you know, where the character, instead of walking down
the street, rolls down the street?

Patrick Bjork