SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

Sender:
From:
Abe Mark Nornes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 1994 20:36:54 -0400
To my knowledge Tetsuo is not available in the US in a subtitled version.
You can easily find it in LA's Little Tokyo, and if I remember there isn't
much dialogue . . .

There was a mistake in one of the posts about the title.  Tetsuo has two
kanji (Chinese characters):  Iron + Man.  It's kind of like the Japanese
equivalent of "Bob" (ie., very common).

The film is important in Japan not only for its cyborg theme, but also
because it was made for so little money.

If you want to see more along these lines from Japan, check out animation.
There is tons of it (Akira is only scratching the surface).  One of my
favorites is Roujin Z (by Otomo K.), where the Ministry of Health and
Welfare designs a bed that turns old invalids into cyborgs so that no one
has to spend energy taking care of them.  Of course, the bed/man runs amok
when the bed's computer takes on the persona of his wife and they make a
run for the ocean for one last look.  A sweet story in the end, but a lot
of joyous anarchy in between.

Markus