SCREEN-L Archives

March 1997, Week 3

Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 09:41:46 EST
Eugene Walz writes:

> >But the movie was much better to look at than the boring, typically
> >Canadian yawner of a book was to read. At least it had nice landscapes, some
> > violence, a bit of tasteful nudity. The book was drab through and through.
>
> For all those Screen-L people coming to the Society for Cinema Studies
> conference in Ottawa this May, the above quote will provide an introduction
> to an amusing variety of Canadian. You may have seen his brothers Bob and
> Doug on SCTV. Having read more than one book, he is confident enough to
> disparage not only a national literature but his own nation. Come on up and
> see for yourself.

Gene,

I prefer another type of the national stereotype -- there's a whole
bunch of jokes based on this subset printed on the last page of sec. 1 in
today's Globe and Mail.  For example, how do you empty a swimming pool
full of Canadians?  You say, "Would everyone please leave the pool?"

Between the two of us and everyone else who is reading the list, I'm with
the Elaine Bennis character on THE ENGLISH PATIENT.  Throughout the movie,
I kept hearing Mel Brooks voice from the film THE CRITIC sighing, "Oy!
Eight-fifty out the window, Murray!  The man who made this movie, why
doesn't he learn to do something useful.  Make a shoe."

As for the SCS, on behalf of the Site Committee I'd like to invite people
to see a wide variety of real Canadian films at the screenings that will
be held concurrently with the Conference in Ottawa.  THE ENGLISH
PATIENT bears as much resemblance to Canadian cinema as A PASSAGE TO INDIA
or A ROOM WITH A VIEW bear to Indian and Italian cinema.  And we have more
kinds of films than there are goofy stereotypes of Canadians.

Mark Langer

Email address: [log in to unmask]