SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 5

Sender:
From:
Kristine Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 1995 20:21:56 CST
At  4:51 PM 3/29/95 -0600, Rick Ferncase wrote:
>I was dismayed by Jack Nicholson's snickering introduction to the Antonioni
>tribute--maybe the tone of the evening was set early on by host Letterman's
>dumb pet and cabbie tricks.  Antonioni's themes of alienation and the
>inadequacy of human communication have nothing to do with anything the
>Academy holds in high regard.  When a weepie like Gump sweeps the awards,
>it makes me wonder why any members of the Academy wanted to laud an
>uncompromising artist like Antonioni at all--except for the reason that he
>is old and, hence, worthy of respect.  Artists would be well advised to
>eschew the honors bestowed any "academy"--it is almost always an indication
>that their work has become safe and/or complacent.
>
>-r. k. ferncase

I think (and maybe this is obvious) the tribute to Antonioni was, at least
in part, one of those credibility maneuvers, designed to pay tribute to a
"great" (whom very few people watching the show probably know about, except
by name) and at the same time, ride the wave of prestige.  These things
make me sad, and cynical, and make me think of Deleuze's point that to a
large extent, commercial cinema is dying from the "nullity of its (mass)
productions."

Kris Butler