SCREEN-L Archives

January 1999, Week 5

Sender:
From:
Jim Marsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:50:28 -0500
If you include films adapted from short stories, my favorite example
of a dramatic change in endings involves the Canadian film SMOOTH TALK
(1985), which drastically alters the ending of its source, the Joyce
Carol Oates story (often anthologized), "Where Are You Going, Where
Have You Been?". (I don't want to give away the difference here, but
anyone interested can e-mail me.)

The first example of an unusual credits sequence that comes to mind is
that in BEING THERE (1979), which features outtakes of Peter Sellers
having a case of the giggles trying to do one scene. (But I believe
some versions of the film exclude these.)

Jim Marsden
Bryant College

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite