SCREEN-L Archives

December 2000, Week 2

From:
Sam Umland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:16:31 -0600
"Satanis" is a documentary about the late Anton LaVey and the Church of
Satan, with exploitation elements thrown in. It's available through
Something Weird Video (www.somethingweird.com) for around $15.00. According
to Blanche Barton, in The Secret Life of A Satanist: The Authorized
Biography of Anton LaVey (Feral House, 1990; p. 118) "Satanis" was one of
several documentaries made about Satanism and LaVey during that period. She
indicates that the film was released early in 1970, often playing on a
double bill (probably in grindhouse theaters) with Kenneth Anger's
Invocation of My Demon Brother, which also featured LaVey.

Ray Laurent may indeed be the filmmaker's name; my guess is that Zoltan G.
Spencer is a pseudonym or a jape. Zoltan was the name of Jayne Mansfield's
son (born ca. 1960); Mansfield was a friend and follower of LaVey. Zoltan
was also coincidentally the name of LaVey's pet black panther.

At any rate, Kenneth Anger may know something about Ray Laurent. Write me
at my personal e-mail address and I can tell you how to get in touch with
him.

Sam Umland
Department of English
University of Nebraska at Kearney