SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Kino International Corporation <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 17:42:00 -0500
OK I guess I started this so I should respond. There is a BIG difference
between a bootleg ( ie a dub from a film print or video released in another
country ) and a legitimate copy in PAL or other copy purchased outside the
US. A legitmate copy is presumably paying royalties to a filmaker, a
bootleg is just an illegal copy that only the bootlegger benefits. In most
cases the reason people are buying PAL copies is that it is a foreign film
for which no one owns US rights. I know of nothing in copyrite law that
prevents someone from useing a legitimate PAL copy so long as they use it
on a Multi-System player and do not transfer it.

I admit that I was a bit overboard on the Kieslowski series because the
circumstances are particularly frustrating. However since the Dekalog is
clearly available from the UK in Subtitles PAL format, I should probably
not have been so blithe to suggest that bootlegs were OK. It is just that I
think this particular distributor has done so much harm to these films that
I am not that concerned

  I do fully understand the frustrations of people who want to get a film on
video and see bootlegs as the only option. However if you do buy PAL or
overseas copies instead, at least you are not ripping off the original
owner or filmaker

Jessica Rosner
KINO .

Kino International Corporation