SCREEN-L Archives

April 1999, Week 2

From:
Eunice Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 09:06:10 -0500
In my introductory film course last night, I was talking about the use of
color in films.  One example I used was the little girl with the red coat
in Schindler's List.  After class, one of my students came up (a senior in
Civil Engineering) and told me that he could not detect the red coat
because he is color blind.  This was a first for me.

Apparently people who are color blind do see colors (in other words,
everything is not black and white)--but they perceive colors differently.
This student told me that what looks like green grass to us looks brownish
orange to him.

Has anyone ever tried to study how color blind people perceive films?  Has
anyone ever tried to find a way to compensate for color blindness?
Eunice Johnston
Department of English
Minard Hall 320
North Dakota State University