SCREEN-L Archives

May 2006, Week 2

From:
Andy Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2006 15:46:47 -0700
Dear Colleagues,

Frameline, the nonprofit leader in lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender
(LGBT) educational media, would like to announce several new releases for
use in Cinema Studies and Media Studies programs:

IS IT REALLY SO STRANGE?
Documentary about the fanatical new Smiths/Morrissey fan base: Latino youths
in East Los Angeles.
³...provides a welcome alternative to the "Behind the Music" approach,
spotlighting first-person narrative and heart-breaking, tender interviews
with fans. The film shows how fan culture may unexpectedly bridge the lines
of race, age, sexual orientation, and geography, and will be of interest for
courses in cultural studies, gender and sexuality, ethnic studies, and
performance studies.²
‹Homay King, Assistant Professor of Film Studies, Bryn Mawr College
http://cart.frameline.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=T623

WITH WHAT SHALL I WASH
In this beautifully animated short, a transwoman ends her day reminiscing
about her great love and about her life working in a red light district in
Spain.  Set to an aria by an unknown composer, With What Shall I Wash is an
homage to all homosexual artists of the twentieth century:
http://cart.frameline.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=T622

SMALL TOWN SECRETS
A highly textured film that travels back to the early 1980s, documenting a
woman¹s exploration of her childhood growing up with closeted gay parents in
a small, mid-western town. By weaving together a collection of home movies
and conversations with her parents recorded via web cam, SMALL TOWN SECRETS
remembers why keeping it a secret felt like the only option.

SCREAMING QUEENS: THE RIOT AT COMPTON'S CAFETERIA
An Emmy-nominated documentary about the first known act of collective,
violent resistance to the social oppression of queer people in the USA:
http://cart.frameline.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=T636

SHABNAM MOUSI
An action-packed Bollywood musical based on the true story of an Indian
eunuch who transcends societal oppression to become a successful politician:
http://cart.frameline.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=T627

These and 200 other LGBT-themed films from almost every genre can be found
at http://www.frameline.org/distribution, where you can download our 2005
Catalog and 2006 Catalog Supplement, and subscribe to our free monthly
e-newsletter (where we announce our new releases and offer special discounts
to subscribers).

Thank you for perusing our collection of LGBT films/videos for educators,
and for signing up for our free newsletter. Please contact me if I can be of
service!

Best,
Andy
--
Andy Moore
Educational Distribution Manager

Frameline¹s Educational Distribution Program
--Since 1981, the leading educational distributor solely dedicated to
lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) film and video.
--More than 200 titles, spanning every genre and 72 subject area headings.
--A non-profit organization.
--Visit our website (http://www.frameline.org/distribution) to browse our
collection and to sign up for our free monthly e-newsletter, the Frameline
Distribution Dispatch.

Frameline30
San Francisco International LGBT Film Festival
³Thirty years of revolutionary film²
June 15-25, 2006

Persistent Vision Conference
³Envisioning the future of queer media arts²
June 19-22, 2006

http://www.ScreenSite.org