SCREEN-L Archives

August 1995, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Capalaba High <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 1995 21:39:05 +1000
Greetings from Brisbane, Australia.

My name is Laurie Lee. I teach a senior high school subject called Film and
Television (16 and 17 year olds) at Capalaba State High School.

I am also a member of a syllabus sub-committee charged with writing a new
syllabus document for the subject. At present the syllabus, in draft form is
being trialed in 24 schools around the state (Queensland, home of the Gold
Coast as in Indy Car race). Our task is now to rewrite the document before
it goes into general implementation around the state, some 70+ schools.

The course has two focuses: A written component we call Critique and a
production component called strangely enough, Production. Students are
expected to produce work using film, video, photography, slide, computer
graphics. Which of the media are chosen depends upon the facilities
available at the individual schools. Video is the one universal medium,
generally using VHS or Video 8 format. Productions range from Music Video
Clips to Short Feature Films in one of the Hollywood genre. Students are
required to work as individuals for some projects and within groups for
others. Group productions pose a problem when it comes to assessment.

My question to those of you who do something similar:
"How do you assess the contribution of the individual within a group?"
In short, how do come up with his/her final mark/grade/result for the
production assuming you don't give the same result to each  member of the group.

A number of strategies are employed in different schools. I, on behalf of
the syllabus sub-committee would be interested in hearing about yours. Any
comments of a general nature would also be most welcome.

Please mail your thoughts directly to me, when I have gathered a bunch I
will post a summary back to the list.

Many thanks.

Cheers   8^)

Laurie Lee

"The measure of greatness can not be found on a yard stick"
                                          Toulouse Lautrec
              Nor in the speed of ones modem!