SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

Sender:
From:
David Desser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 1994 08:37:38 -0500
>        Like David Desser, I'm replying over this list rather than
>privately, since that might prevent redundant responses.  In addition to
>Gina Marchetti's new book, Sumiko Higashi's essay on THE CHEAT in the
>collection UNSPEAKABLE IMAGES, ed. Lester Friedman, is very interesting.
>Julia Lesage's essay on BROKEN BLOSSOMS (available in various places,
>including Gledhill's HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS anthology) is also
>important.  For a very different kind of essay, Richard Fung's contribution
>to HOW DO I LOOK? (on gay Asian porn) is a revelation.  Finally, almost all
>of the collection MOVING THE IMAGE: INDEPENDENT ASIAN PACIFIC AMERICAN
>MEDIA ARTS, ed. Russell Leong is relevant, including (again) an excellent
>essay on BROKEN BLOSSOMS.

In addition to Corey's learned run-through of the relevant bibliography,
another new book comes to mind that I should have mentioned yesterday:
Darrell Y. Hamamoto, MONITORED PERIL (U of Minnesota Press). This book is
brand new.  It mainly focuses on television portrayals, but also includes
discussion of Vietnam films, too.

DD

David Desser,UIUC Cinema Studies
2109 FLB/707 S. Mathews, Urbana, IL  61801
217/244-2705