SCREEN-L Archives

August 1995, Week 2

From:
lang thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 1995 22:31:21 GMT
In <[log in to unmask]> "(Lanny Cotler)" <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

>We here have certainly talked quite a bit about making an "European
version"
>of the love stories we write and produce. The Europeans are so much
more
>willing to open themselves to camera stretch and flow with the
filmmakers
>emotional rivers of delight, both spiritual and sensual.
>
>But Amerikan narrative movies must rush forward into the breach of
adrenalyn
>and hold there, mindless, enthralled, possessed for as long as we can,
for as
>long as the filmmaker is able to hold you, sans thought, sans peace,
sans
>mysticism.

*****  Maybe we shouldn't overestimate the cultural superiority of
European audiences.  Look at the top grossing films in any issue of
Variety and they're pretty much the same ones as here.  Some of that is
undoubtedly due to economic power/cultural imperialism but the people
with the background and inclination for stretching and flowing cinema
are probably not much greater than in the US, just living in more
concentrated markets where it's easier to get access to them.  Don't
forget that large numbers of European films are just as
exploitation-minded as any:  horror films, soft-core porn, thrillers
(such as Italian gialli), etc.  When they come out in the US they're
dubbed and not promoted as foreign films; you find them on late-night
cable or in the dusty areas of video stores.  Consequently American
cineastes think of European film as Bergman, Fellini, Truffaut, etc and
not Jess Franco, Jean Rollin, Joe D'Amato and other masters of
aggressively commercial filmmaking.  Best, LT