SCREEN-L Archives

November 2000, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Janet Staiger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:24:02 -0600
REMINDER:  CALL FOR ESSAYS

Intentions Re-Figured—The Consumption and Production of
Hollywood Cinema:  Intersections in Nationality, Race, Gender, and Sexuality
A Proposal for an Anthology
edited by David Gerstner and Janet Staiger

Ideas, abstracts, partial or full papers should be sent by December 1, 2000, to
David Gerstner <[log in to unmask]) and Janet Staiger
<[log in to unmask]>.    A tentative deadline for final papers of
approximately 8,000 to 9,000 words would be December 1, 2001.  New York
University Press is considering this anthology.

This edited anthology will include essays that consider how directors,
producers, scriptwriters, and other Hollywood and American artists have
consumed Hollywood cinema in relationship to cinema and the other arts and
how this cultural consumption enabled their creative practices in producing
new American films. We are particularly concerned to think through how
nationalities, race, gender, and sexuality are factors within these
practices of consumption and production. Thus, the implications of the
intersections of these individuals’ identities in the act of creative
production require an extensive historical and textual analysis of their
particular contexts.

This collection has several historiographical objectives. It attempts to
return to the problem of biographism, authorship, and intentionality in
media. While we acknowledge the difficulties associated with asserting
agency in the act of production, we believe that recent work in cultural
studies on consumers of media texts reopens the door to a complexly
theorized discussion of creative agency. We are also interested in a
‘biographism’ of cultural consumption and production that draws upon its
complex historical relationship to nation, race, gender, and sexuality. We
wish to draw upon recent theoretical work that re-conceptualizes individual
identity as constituted via the intersections of material discourses, a
conception of agency as a complex circumstance of position-taking.
Theorizing this (contradictory) self has recently been aided by the concept
of "intersectionality."  Indeed, we use the term "intersectionality" as it
is currently theorized in third-wave feminist scholarship and critical race
theory so as to underscore the critical approach we take in this collection
to the human subject. Intersectionality recognizes the interlocking and
relational feature of identities.

We are calling for essays that consider these issues in relation to specific
individuals or groups of individuals.  Because of our concerns, we would
prefer all cases to involve someone (or group) with at least one
non-hegemonic identity or identification.  We would like the theoretical
issues to be a significant portion of the essay but not to overwhelm an
actual discussion of historical and creative matters.
Janet Staiger
   William P. Hobby Centennial Professor of Communication
Department of Radio-Television-Film, CMA 6.128
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712  USA
512-471-6653 (office)
512-329-5104 (home)