SCREEN-L Archives

November 2004, Week 2

From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 00:31:35 -0500
>book on the film).  I also rather enjoyed the commentary on the MASK OF
>SATAN (aka Black Sunday) disc, delivered by an academic whose name
>escapes me now.

Actually that wasn't an academic but Tim Lucas, editor of Video Watchdog
and author of a forthcoming book on Mario Bava that might turn out to be
the longest-ever director biography.  He's contributed a few other
commentaries including one on the forthcoming Danger: Diabolik disc.

As for DVD extras, the best explanation of pan-and-scan and letterboxing
I've seen is on the Die Hard SE of all places.  It presents various
alternatives and shows how each affects the meaning of various shots and
the scene as a whole.  That DVD also has a crude but effective "edit it
yourself" function where you can use various alternate takes and different
dialogue for the boardroom scene.  Not the same as actually editing
something yourself but it's interesting to be able to completely alter the
tone or pace in part of a well-known movie, even on such a limited level.

Lang

The Funhouse Journal
http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/blog/journal.htm