SCREEN-L Archives

September 1998, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Pamela Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 14:51:08 -0500
Hi.

I am startingwork on an essay about representations of prerecorded music
technologies in film (i.e. scenes of diegetic music where record players,
cassette players or CD players are visible) and especially scenes in which
women use these technologies. I'm thinking of things like Dorothy Malone's
dance in "Written on the Wind", Bette Davis playing records in "In This Our
Life," Betty Hutton lipsynching in "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek," Toni
Collette listening to ABBA in "Muriel's Wedding," Uma Therman in "Pulp
Fiction," etc. I'd love suggestions for more -- male or female. Please send
any suggestions directly to me and I'll post a list if there is interest.

Thanks very much,

Pam Robertson

email: [log in to unmask]

University of Alabama.