SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 1994 19:27:46 EDT
Alison wrote:
"Could we get back to the subject heading at hand -- the role that the media
is playing in a purported case of domestic violence?"

Actually, I thought that the original discussion had to do with O.J. etc. but
the tack on domestic violence and media roles in pointing out and educating
on the issue is a valid one. And I guess that it is important to identify all
aspects of the entire problem, roots, effects, and proposals to deal with the
problem. So it is to be expected that all of the postings have something to
contribute, (though not always the message intended by the writer,) and that
some of the items will anger some of the participants. It does get
exasperating when some of the writers resort to "tactics" to get their points
across. But it's all to be expected.
Let's all try to get something positive out of the "discussion."

Rod wrote:
"Domestic violence is not just a male problem.  It is a problem for
both males and females.  To suggest that presenting *these* facts is
dangerous misses the point."

I'll agree with you on this one, Rod. The problem of domestic violence is a
human problem. As is the problem of sexual violence.
The thing is that most of the "perpetrators" are male, and most of the
victims are female. So it is natural for the larger voice to focus on the
male abuser. In my opinion these two problems are corollaries of a larger
issue, that of "human abuse."
Society, for all its progress, is still far from recognizing all the rights
and needs of humanity. Real empowerment has to do with respect, esteem, and
opportunity, and more.
It seems that these days media, (including film, music, and literature,) is
more responsive to the almighty dollar than to moral responsibility. "Trends"
are more of a motivation for producers than human empowerment. In such a
light, the rights and needs of a person are secondary to ratings, or
box-office receipts.
What can we do? Discuss, educate, produce, and promote works that define and
defend human rights.
And expect some flak along the way.
Thanks for the attention.
Chad Dominicis, Miami, FL.