SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Brad Hendershott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 1994 01:41:12 CST
I am in agreement with Joe C.  Gump was a well crafted, entertaining
film, but some aspects disturbed me.  Political activists from the 60's
were depicted as caricatures derived from tired stereotypes of hippies
as scummy, drugged-up slackers.  In one scene, Gump is compelled to
pummel an anti-war peace activist for slapping Jenny.  Hmm..
Gumps life is a string of triumphs.  Yet, how does the film define
success?  Success on the footbal field, success on the battle field, and
finally, financial success.  Some of us might define success in other
ways.  Perhaps some of you know what I'm getting at.
-
Brad H Dept C&P SIUC