SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

Sender:
From:
Corey Creekmur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 1994 14:59:40 -0500
        warning: don't read if you haven't seen PULP FICTION

        Hi Richard (who I haven't seen in years; ain't e-mail great) and
others: I agree that the relation of THE KILLER INSIDE ME to PULP FICTION
seems unclear -- Tarantino seems interested in making our identifications
with characters difficult, but not in the way the seeing through the eyes
of a killer does in Thompson.  And aren't questions about the basement
scene avoiding the obvious potential for homophobic readings of it?  If
you're an auteurist, you might simply note that Tarantino seems to like to
tie characters up on chairs and scare the hell out of them, but I assume
the debate over the scene will finally have to focus on the presentation of
anal rape as the scene's "shocking" revelation of what goes on down in that
room.  As someone noted on this list, the film's urbanization of
DELIVERANCE is relevant here.