SCREEN-L Archives

January 2021, Week 2

From:
Maria San Filippo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 2021 12:05:02 -0800
  *apologies for cross-posting*

Dear Colleagues,

It is our pleasure to announce the publication of our new issue (18.4),
featuring these articles:

*Cancelling the apocalypse: Pacific Rim as chthulucinema*

*Jamie Uy & William Brown*

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17400309.2020.1801311

*The monogamous/promiscuous optics in contemporary gay* *film: registering
the amorous couple in Weekend (2011) and Paris 05:59: Théo & Hugo (2016)*

*Cüneyt Çakırlar & Gary Needham*

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17400309.2020.1800329

*Nathan for You and the New Sincerity aesthetic*

*Lucas Thompson *

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17400309.2020.1812978

*Doubled visions: reflexivity, intermediality and co-creation in Clouzot’s
The Mystery of Picasso and von Trier’s and Leth’s The Five Obstructions*

*Daniel Yacavone*

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17400309.2020.1814621

*Recovering the TV Career of Korean American Comedian Johnny Yune*

*This article was awarded top prize in the SCMS TV SIG 2020 Graduate
Student Essay Contest*

*Grace Jung*

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17400309.2020.1814082

Congratulations to Grace Jung, PhD candidate in Cinema & Media Studies at
UCLA and our inaugural recipient of the SCMS TV SIG Graduate Student Essay
Contest. Our next award cycle is currently underway, with submissions
due *January
15*. Please see the call below, and please encourage any graduate students
and current members of the SCMS TV SIG, with whom we co-sponsor this award,
to apply. The winning essay will be published in our final issue of 2021.

We are also excited to announce Tory Jeffay, PhD student in Film & Media at
UC Berkeley, as this year’s winner of the SCMS Queer and Trans Caucus Chris
Holmlund Graduate Student Writing Prize. Jeffay’s essay, titled “‘Flat Out
Fucking Formalism’: *Strong Island* as Trans-of-Color Critique," will be
published in our summer 2021 issue.

So strong a field of submissions were we fortunate to have received, we
have also recognized two additional essays with Honorable Mentions: Joshua
Bastion Cole’s (PhD Candidate, Department of Performing and Media Arts,
Cornell University) “Missing *Things*: The Eerie Allure of Hidden Trans
Masculinity in John Carpenter and Rhys Ernst Films” and Erin Nunoda’s (PhD
Candidate at the Cinema Studies Institute, University of Toronto) "On
Ephemerality: *Tiger Beat* and Teenage Time." Congratulations to our three
awardees, and thank you to all those who submitted and to our co-sponsors the
SCMS Queer and Trans Caucus.

We are also excited to share our new website, where we’ll be featuring
topical, free content such as the currently available excerpt from
Editorial Board member Thomas Doherty’s new book *Little Lindy Is
Kidnapped: How the Media Covered the Crime of the Century*, Ekin Erkan’s
tribute to former Editorial Board member Thomas Elsaesser (RIP), William J.
Simmons’ interview with filmmaker Nicolas Winding Refn, Trevor Mowchun’s
cartographical exploration of “same space films,” and more. Please bookmark
our URL https://nrftsjournal.org/, and we welcome proposals for promotional
collaborations, reviews, interviews, commentaries, pedagogical musings…

To help spread the word, and for latest news and promotions, please follow
us on Twitter @NRFTSJournal <https://twitter.com/NRFTSJournal> and
Instagram @nrftsjournal <https://www.instagram.com/nrftsjournal/>. We
welcome submissions through our website
<https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rfts20/current>, where guidelines for
authors can be found. Given our robust rate of submission, we have recently
converted to an Online First model to expedite the time to publication for
accepted articles.

Kind regards,

Maria San Filippo

Editor

*Call for submissions: 2021 SCMS TV SIG Graduate Student Essay Contest*

The SCMS TV SIG is now accepting submissions for the second annual Graduate
Student Essay Contest. The top three essays will get extensive feedback and
suggestions for revision. The winning essay will be published in the
excellent journal *New Review of Film & Television Studies*, appearing in
the final issue of 2021. Submissions will go through a double-blind peer
review. The winner will be announced at the SCMS 2021 Virtual TV SIG
Meeting & Social Event. We want to thank the NRFTVS editor, Maria San
Filippo, for her ongoing support of this collaboration.

Guidelines: Authors must be registered members of the Television SIG and
graduate students for the 2020 - 2021 academic year. Essay topics may range
from across a broad spectrum of subjects related to television studies,
including but not limited to historical, industrial, technological, textual
and audience-centered research topics. They may not be previous published
work, or under review at another journal. We will accept any original work,
but it must be centrally related to television in all of its various
manifestations. Submissions should also be in keeping with the Aims & Scope
of *NRFTS*, and should use the journal's formatting guide. We recommend
visiting their website here: https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rfts20/current

The deadline has been extended to* January 15, 2021. *Please submit essays
as a Microsoft Word document to Eleanor Patterson at
[log in to unmask], ensuring
that name and contact information is listed in your email message, and that
your essay is scrubbed of any identifying information.
--
*New Review of Film and Television Studies
<https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rfts20/current> *