SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Angelica Brisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 1994 20:37:20 CST
I'm a little behind on my reading of messages so forgive me if this echos
other peoples thoughts.  I thought Reality Bites was a poor attempt to
embody the Gen X ideas.  Not only were the characters less than creative,
and traditional in their roles they were hollow.  Further more they were
not story tellers which I would say is a key element of the book
Generation X as well as the desire to redefine existing objects and ideas
even if it is a waste of time or an avoidance tactic.  I believe that the
X stands for a little more than the BLAH that came out of the classic
girl falls for the troubled musician story in Reality Bites.  Perhaps the
element of Xness that can be taken from Reality Bites is the desire to
record life as it's happening in order to understand it fully and the
desire to bring meaning to every little thing.