SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 2

From:
Mario Gamper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 1995 22:06:16 +0200
I am currently doing a term paper on the importance of the Action genre.
I would like to check whether the feeling is correct at all that Action
films have played a continuous major role on the US market during the
last 20 years. To my knowledge, the B.O. numbers in "Variety" is the
source to look at.

1. Are there other sources on the economic success (or not) of the Action
   genre?

2. Does Variety put is B.O. Data on the net?

3. On a more general level, did i forget a major caveat in assuming that
   within the realm of popular/mass culture, economic success is a strong
   sign of importance and designates relevance for an analysis of society as
   well.

Just a short remark on VIDEO FOR FILM. Even though I haven't found time to
enter the discussion, I happily followed the flow of arguments. Feeling
heavily indebted to SCREEN-L now, how can one make reference to these
writings. Are internet discussions/messages respected sources for
scientific papers?

All thoughts welcome. Thanks.

Mario Gamper
Seminar fuer Allgemeine Rhetorik