SCREEN-L Archives

August 1995, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Mark Langer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 1995 09:31:47 EDT
Scott M. User. writes:

> A friend of mine is putting together a treatise on the marketing of cinema;
> he believes the film industry, particularly in the 70's and 80's, produced
> different versions (or at least differently edited versions) of films for
> theatrical release for different parts of the country. Anyone aware of any
> documentation of this, especially in films of any artistic weight?
>
> ----
> To signoff SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
> in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

Terry Gilliam's film BRAZIL played in two different versions in
Canada.  The Quebec version included a scene where Mr. Helpman,
dressed as Santa Claus, visits the protagonist in jail and informs him
that Jill is dead.  It also had a lengthy sequence detailing the
various stages of the arrest process, in which the protagonist was
charged for the expenses on his credit card.  This sequence came
between the arrest of the protagonist and the kindly guard's greeting at the
interrogation chamber -- "Confess son.  Think of your credit rating."

I am told that in some areas of the U.S. market, the death of the
protagonist is omitted, leaving the audience with the impression that
he and Jill escaped.  I vaguely recall reading an article in the N.Y.
Times about the various versions.

Would dubbed vs. subtitled versions of films fall into this catagory?
eg.- DAS BOOT released on the east & west coast in subtitled versions,
but dubbed in general release.

Mark Langer

Email address: [log in to unmask]