SCREEN-L Archives

February 1996, Week 3

From:
David Desser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 22:46:16 -0600
Thanks to Gloria Monti for forwarding the Oscar list and accompanying
story.  But I did have a certain "knee-jerk reaction"  to this sentence:

>BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Braveheart, actor Mel Gibson's directing debut,
>captured a leading 10 Academy Award nominations Tuesday, including
>best picture.

Now it's my memory that Mel Gibson directed _Man Without a Face_.  Am I
wrong?  I'm happy to be corrected if so.

The reason I'm a bit upset (if I'm right about Mel) is that a recent
syndicated obit. about Gene Kelly (by Larry Swindell) made the BIZARRE
claim that _An American in Paris_ was the last American musical to win an
Oscar for Best Picture.  But by ANY and all standards _Gigi_ was an
American film and so for sure as hell was _West Side Story_.  So why such
carelessness with facts?

Yes there are more important things in life to worry about, but still...

David Desser