SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 5

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 11:44:30 CST
On Mon, 30 Jan 1995 15:35:31 CST Brent Kelley said:
>I was curious is anyone owns the "new" (at least in the U.S.) digital
>satellite system.  I have read reviews and have seen demonstrations, but
>was wondering how the system works with regular use.

I've got one, Brent.  And I've mostly been pretty pleased with it.

>The quality of the audio and video for pay-per-view movies is as good as
>those of my laserdiscs.  Still, I would appreciate opinions, as I try to
>decide if I will purchase on of these new toys.

The audio quality is as advertised, but I've been disappointed in the
video.  DSS carries the broadcast nets (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, and Fox)
through stations in Atlanta, Denver, etc.  Their signal often has
digital aberrations in it.  I don't know how to describe them except
to say that the pixels become more evident, almost like grain.

The satellite stations look better (and Turner Classic Movies is a
joy to behold).  Some look quite amazing, as a matter of fact, but
they don't seem to be the equivalent of laserdisc to my eye.  Maybe
it's all the compression/decompression that the signal is going
through.

All in all, the signal is far superior to my local cable company's
and the choice of channels is much broader.  The boast of 150 channels
is a bit of hyperbole, though.  Some of the channels are duplicates--
e.g., east and west coast version of HBO (yawn)--and 15 or 20 are
audio only.

So, I'm pleased with it, but it doesn't live up to its hype.

The first thing the communists will do when they take over a country
is to outlaw cockfighting.
                         --John Monks, Oklahoma state senator, while
                           defending cockfighting (1994)

| Jeremy Butler - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator                                                   |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |