SCREEN-L Archives

September 1997, Week 4

From:
Fred Wild <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 18:58:44 -0400
Herman Raucher's novelized version of his screenplay for Summer of '42
(released in 1971) was a best-seller for over a year before the film was
released.  The original bookjacket did not mention that a film was in the
works even though it was the purchase of the screenplay that led to the
writing of the book.  Star Wars was certainly not the first to use this
marketing technique.  I would guess that there are instances that occur
before the seventies?.

Fredric M. Wild
Communication Dept.
Lycoming College