SCREEN-L Archives

December 1996, Week 2

From:
Meredith McMinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 05:47:17 -0800
On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, David Desser wrote:

> And when I saw
> Godard's _Deux ou trois choses que je sais d'elle_ in Paris without
> subtitles (of course) I realized again, but very profoundly, how very often
> Godard uses offscreen sounds, shifts the volume on dialogue, etc., so that
> maybe you're not supposed to hear what the subtitles assume for you is
> crucial!

Ah!  Good point, but how often those of us who don't speak a gazillion
languages fluently would miss ALL the dialogue, including what is
important and/or witty, etc. if there were no subtitles.  One could hope,
at least, for well-done translations and the kind of subtitles that are
clearly readable.  (I do wish they'd also translate song lyrics and the
like, which are usually left out.)  And how often
are ambient sound or variations in volume and the like dubbed as they are
in the original?  A non-native-French speaking viewer/auditor, needs both
the original language and sound in his/her ear and the translation,
however faulty, to come close to experiencing the film.  Maybe we have to
see it two or three times, as someone else mentioned, so as to get the
visual elements adequately, but many of us do that anyway.

My two cents, again.