SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Eric Donald Somer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 1995 15:30:13 CST
The film noir hour was pretty insightful and fun to watch, but I still don't
buy Schrader's argument that noir is something other than a genre. "We don't
make film noirs today," he says. Any thoughts on this topic? If Dahl and
Tarrantino aren't doing genre films I don't know who is, and both of them focus
on noir concerns consistently. It appears to me if noir wasn't a genre during
the '40-'58 cycle, it sure seems to be now. The many noir parodies in recent
years, in my estimation, provide further evidence of the cyclical nature of
a genre, as opposed to a movement, cycle, style, and so on...