SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 2

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 08:58:00 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask]
Date:    12/11/94 3:12 PM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

I have now seen 2 episodes of _Homicide: Life on the Street_, and I find its
style, well, ver different to what I'm used to from network TV.  It is
riddled with jump cuts, and the hand-held camera use is fascinating.  (Or am
I just too much of a Goddard fan?)  At any rate, I am looking for other
peoples reactions...

LUKE

Luke,
I have been watching the series since it first started.  I have to say that
it has the best writing on television.  I love the camera style and the jump
cuts that they use.  I have a theory on why it isn't more popular.

The series is pretty grim and realistic and I dont think that the American
televison audience is ready for it on a mass level.

I do have a question that I want to ask.  For those of you that have been
watching it regularly, did the last two episodes seem to be out of sinc with
the two previous ones?  In the first episode with Emma Zule, Meldrick says
that his partner is dead, but it was two episodes later that they found his
dead body.  Am I missing something or am I going crazy.

Jeff