SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 2

From:
wheeler dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 1994 22:10:47 CST
I'm new to both screen-l and e-mail, so I received some interesting
answering the questions, I obviously messed up and I doubt if my
particularly, who sent me personal messages,I apologize if they didn't
get through.

All the directors I mentioned are available either through Facets
Video in Chicago 1 800 331 6197; many of these films are also
available at the local Blockbuster, even here. Jean Isidore Isou, as
one person asked, if a fascinating French director whose VENOM AND
ETERNITY won top prize for an experimental feature at the Cannes fest
in 1953 (the film was made in  1951). Jean Cocteau appears in it, and
also championed the film in his book COCTEAU ON FILM with Andre
Fraigneau.

Another correspondent said something like "people talk about what they
know," which is true, but I guess my question becomes this: the films
are available in the foriegn or "hot singles" categories at
Blockbuster, but they never rent? Why? I'm on a tear with African
Cinema lately, and in response to a final question, my favorites of
the moment who don't get neough attention are Yilmaz Guney (Turkish
director; deceased), whose films include BABA and YOL; Mahama Traore,
whose NJANGAAN from Senegal is as spare and precise as anything found
in Bresson; and Sarah Maldoror, whose SAMBIZANGA is an Angola
revolutionary classic.

I have a final request. Since I'm new to the net, and clumsy at it, I
would really appreciate it if anyone who e-mails me directly please DO
sign off with your e-mail address, so I can contact you. I can't
decipher headers yet.

So, best wishes from Wheeler Winston Dixon, [log in to unmask]