SCREEN-L Archives

June 1993

Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1993 17:32:15 EDT
Deborah Cameron asks how I felt about her quoting my remarks in her
summary of the issues surrounding the use of e-mail messages by other
commentators.  I read down to the end before I realized that I was
being cited/quoted/paraphrased.  My notions are more-or-less in the
area of common wisdom.  Not everybody agrees with my version but those
who do could have said the same things I did.

If I had been actually quoted and cited, then I would expect permission
to have been requested.  It's a subtle matter, I suppose.  A little like
trying to get students to understand that common knowledge does not have
to be footnoted (e.g., Winston Churchill was a central figure in WWII).

Since in the matter of appropriate usage of e-mail we are all students,
we'll just have to muddle through until a latter-day Fowler comes along
and makes arguments so persuasive they are accepted by all.

Cal Pryluck, Radio-Television-Film, Temple University, Philadelphia
<[log in to unmask]>  <PRYLUCK@TEMPLEVM>