SCREEN-L Archives

September 2004, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Mary Celeste Kearney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 14:36:29 -0500
CFP: Queer Youth Cultures

Editors

Susan Driver
Contemporary Studies
Wilfrid Laurier University

Mocha Jean Herrup
Radio-Television-Film
Austin Community College

We are inviting submissions for an interdisciplinary collection on queer
youth cultures.  From the everyday worlds of queer youth self-representation
and community involvement to spectacular displays of performative
transgression, we are interested in essays that engage with the rich
textures of contemporary queer youth cultural formations. We are gathering
together essays that explore a broad range of queer youth cultural issues
through multiple theoretical and empirical perspectives.

Overview

Academic discourses have historically worked to exclude gay, lesbian,
bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning youth from their research
practices and theoretical frameworks.  This has resulted in a predominance
of heteronormative ways of understanding youth experiences and creative
cultural activities.  It has also worked to reinforce a gap between academic
knowledges and the complex worlds of youth who challenge and exceed binary
sex/gender/sexual categorizations.  Our aim is to expand critical thinking
about youth cultures by compiling essays attuned to the specific contexts,
communities and subjectivities of queer youth.  Over the last decade a broad
range of queer youth cultures have emerged to transform relations of
production and reception, as well as expanding public spaces and textual
forms through which youth make meaning for themselves.  At this historical
moment it becomes important to develop tools to recognize and engage queer
youth cultures in ways that are respectful and supportive, and that remain
open to and enabling of emerging social articulations.   Our goal is to
challenge generalizing images of youth through representations and analysis
of queer youth cultures that utilize detailed textual and ethnographic
methods.  Reflexive forms of writing are also encouraged as a way to
question and bridge relations between youth and researchers. Creative visual
artwork, comics and photography will also be considered as an important
element to enhance the field of queer youth cultural representation.  We are
especially looking for new theoretical and methodological approaches to
studying youth that enable innovative practices of interpretation.

Topics
We are interested in papers which deal especially (but
not exclusively) with the following topics:

-grrrl bands
-transgender youth
-online identities and networks
-community/festival organizing
-theorizing queer youth cultures
-youth produced video
-film and television representations
-grassroots activism
-performance cultures such as drag kings, burlesque and spoken word
-practices of self-representation
-alternative sexual cultures
-creative fictions by/for/about queer youth
-queer youth visual cultures

Submission Guidelines

Please send a 500 word abstract by November 1, 2004.   Send your submission
as an email attachment in word along with a brief C.V. or bio to both
editors: [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]  Please feel free to
contact us for further information.